Sunday, May 5, 2013

MOTHER’S DAY, How it came to be


MOTHER’S DAY, How it came to be



This special day I dedicate to my deceased mother Maria Celia Dabalos-Saguing, an exemplary mother who made me and my brothers and sisters what we are now, my special mentor who sculptured my character and personality, and gave me her own personal philosophy and strict discipline.
Wherever you are now, Mom, I want to express my unending love for you and to continue honoring you for my whole life.


Mother’s Day- a holiday celebrating mothers and motherhood, maternal bonds and the influence of mothers in society. The modern celebration of Mother's Day began in the United States in the early 20th century; it is not directly descended from the many celebrations of mothers and motherhood that have occurred throughout the world over thousands of years, such as the Greek cult to Cybele, the Roman festival of Hilaria, or the ChristianMothering Sunday celebration. Despite this, in some countries Mother's Day has become synonymous with these older traditions.

The modern holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in America. She then began a campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States. Although she was successful in 1914, she was already disappointed with its commercialization by the 1920s. Jarvis' holiday was adopted by other countries and it is now celebrated all over the world. In this tradition, each person offers a gift, card, or remembrance toward their mothers, grandmothers, and/ or maternal figure on mother's day.
In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.[8] She specifically noted that "Mother's" should "be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world."
In the Roman Catholic Church, the holiday is strongly associated with revering theVirgin Mary. In many Catholic homes, families have a special shrine devoted to theBlessed Virgin Mary. In many Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, a special prayer service is held in honor of theTheotokos Virgin Mary.
Mother's day in the Philippinbes is celebrated every second Sunday of May. A Filipino mother is called the "light of the household" around which all activities revolve. Families treat mothers to movies or lunch or dinner out, spend time with their mothers in a park or shopping at the mall, or give their mothers time to pamper themselves. Most families celebrate at home. Children perform most chores that the mother routinely handles, prepare food or give their mothers small handcrafted tokens such as cards.
Although in its current form Mother's Day is not a traditional Filipino holiday, this and Fatherr's Day owe their popularity to American influence.
This special day I dedicate to my deceased mother Maria Celia Dabalos-Saguing, an exemplary mother who made me and my brothers and sisters what we are now, my special mentor who sculptured my character and personality, and gave me her own personal philosophy and strict discipline.
Wherever you are now, Mom, I want to express my unending love for you and to continue honoring you for my whole life.

###


No comments:

Post a Comment