Monday, February 3, 2014

Planned Obsolesence!

Belarmino Dabalos Saguing
Rome, Italy 03 Feb 2014




Last week, my computer flickered out and stopped working in the middle of a work I have to finish that day. First to fold up was the monitor which I was able to revive only to be followed by the computer itself. I was thinking it was just as overworked as me. So I let it rest for a few hours. Then I switched it on, it began functioning for some minutes then flickered out again with a message ‘system mulfunction dumping unsaved files to memory dump’ and switched itself off for a few minutes and rebooted with a message ‘ strike F1 key to reboot. If the problem persist reset the system using the rest program from control panel.’ So I followed what the message said and sure enough it functioned, but the problem of switching itself off happen repeatedly.


I went to the techno taking the PC with me to know what has gone wrong. The techno tinkered with the for a while then turned to me. He informed me the my computer has reached the obsolescence age and I have to buy a new one. He explained that computers and other electronic gadgets and some cars are designed to conk out after a certain period. It is part of the design. This is so that gadget makers could sell more. The age of long lasting products is finished for good. People won’t buy a new gadget while the one they are using are still functional, so, to force them to buy, a product has to conk out after a planned period of time.
The PC is still functional but one has to be very patient. Like it or not, the inconvenience woud persist  one  give it up and buy a new one.


Now it is clear. It is part of the so-called consumism for progress. in the capitalist jargon, people has to buy their products so that the state, meaning the corporation could suck the people’s blood, could get more profit, and they call it ‘progress.’


I wish they could do a program to make the money greedy politicians and capitalists become obsolete too.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment